When I think of autumn and winter, the first sensory receptor that activates is my sense of smell; specifically due to heightened smell associated with the autumn and winter months. This smell might include pine or willow trees lingering in the air, cinnamon or nutmeg, or even perhaps the smell of a smoky fire or a strong espresso.
These smells determine the choice of fragrance that I wear in the next 4-5 months. I believe these fragrances should be stronger than your usual spring/summer fragrance as a strong fragrance can create warmth. Also, the more masculine the scent the better – I tend to gravitate toward musk, wood and leathery fragrances but still hold a citrus twist.
Fragrance projection is another big factor that I take into consideration. The colder months are usually less humid than spring/summer months so you need to make sure you invest in a fragrance that has great longevity and sillage.
Here is my list of masculine yet sophisticated fragrances, perfect for bringing you into 2018.
Niche Fragrance Category
- TOM FORD Private Blend Oud Wood Eau De Parfum
- Accords: Aromatic, Balsamic, Warm spicy, Woody and Oud
- Notes: Agarwood (oud), Brazilian Rosewood, Sandalwood, Vetiver, Sichuan Pepper, Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Amber and Cardamom
- Price : 50ml-£155, 100ml – £215
- CREED Green Irish Tweed Eau de Parfum
- Accords: Citrus, woody, Ozonic, powdery and aquatic
- Notes: Iris, Violet leaf, Lemon Verbena, Sandalwood and Ambergris
- Price : 50ml-£155, 100ml – £200
- LALIQUE Fruits du Mouvement
- Accords: Fruity, Sweet, Sour, White floral Powdery and Woody
- Notes: Black Pepper, Mandarin Orange, Ginger, Fruity note, Jasmine, Cashmeran, Amber and Sandalwood
- Price : 100ml – £160 -> £250
Designer Fragrance Category
- RALPH LAUREN Safari for men.
- Accords: Aromatic, Warm and fresh spicy, floral, Woody and Citrus
- Notes: Aldehydes, Artemisia, Coriander, Lavender, Green notes, Neroli, Bergamot, Lemon, Cyclamen, Carnation, Cinnamon, Tarragon, Jasmine, Rose, Leather, Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Oakmoss, Cedar
- Price : 75ml -£35-£45
- PAUL SMITH Paul Smith Extreme
- Accords: Aromatic, Balsamic, Warm and fresh spicy, Woody and Citrus
- Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Cardamom, Rosemary, Nutmeg, Tonka beans, Geranium, Brazilian Rosewood and Musk.
- Price : 100ml-£20- £30
What are you go to fragrances for the colder months? I’m always open for a switch up in my own collection so recommendations are welcome.
Catch you later,