Woo hoo…officially a year since I started blogging at Gentlemen’s Odyssey. I created this blog to provide young men with a perspective of what a gentleman is and to publish collective stories and journey of individuals (check them out here) that I consider gentlemen. With that been said, I think it’s only fair for me to provide you with 13 traits and characteristics that I think a gentleman should possess or portray in today’s modern society. It’s also important to understand that I’m not trying to define what or who a ‘classic’ or ‘traditional’ gentleman is but to simply provide you with the character that I associate with modern gentlemen.
Jumper – Ralph Lauren, Shirt – Thomas Pink, Trousers – Zara, Boots – Dune, Bag – Zara
Here it goes:
- A gentleman should strive for equality, be open minded and respectful of others.
- A gentleman should put adequate thought into how he presents himself. An outfit plays an integral part in that but it isn’t everything. Thought should also be given to how he speaks and acts.
- A gentleman should be well informed and interesting. He should be able to relate to people from all walks of life, racial background atnd creed.
- A gentleman should have hobbies and passions outside of his work. Speaking of hobbies… cocktail making, golfing and F1 are some of mine.
- A gentleman should ALWAYS keep promises made, even if it kills him, his word is his bond. My friends know me for this, if you don’t know this then we aren’t friends 😛
- A gentleman uses his power, knowledge and skill set, purposely not selfishly, in order to better others. After all, what’s our purpose on earth?
- A gentleman knows himself. To quote Socrates (2nd best philosopher after Buddha) “An unexamined life is not worth living”. You should know your capabilities and limitations; you can’t offer what you don’t have.
- A gentleman operates from the “innocent until proven guilty” point of view. Give people the benefit of a doubt and really get to know someone before you judge them – or should you even judge them at all?…
- A gentleman should treat people how they would like to be treated NOT how you would like to be treated. I have come to the harsh realisation that we’re all different and we’re shaped by our own life experiences. What I considered fair might be considered unjust to others so I can’t use my standards as a measure for someone else.
- A gentleman has high standards, morals and vision.
- A gentleman should constantly grow/evolve. It’s perfectly normal if your circle of friends get smaller. When people of no value to you are in your life, they taking away from you and your sanity, sorry!
- A gentleman should never say he is a gentleman (I’m guilty of this…) people should say he is a gentleman as a result of his actions – you don’t have to blow your own trumpet 24/7.
- A gentleman plans for his and his family’s future. He anticipates what the future might bring and proactively plans for it… Invest, invest, invest!
Watch – Infinity Timepieces, Bracelet – ASOS, Glasses – Montblanc
Let me know if you agree with my list or if you think I left anything out
Catch you later,